Thursday, June 17, 2010

we'll cause some havoc amongst the birds and the bees


Some things you really need to check out:

Letters of Note: From the Desk of Walt Disney on Animation

Hol Art Books & the Team Publishing Model

&

The Clock Without A Face - A Quest!

----



Oh Thursday. Also known as fake Friday. You wake up, knowing there are assignments due in somebody else's bed (don't worry, Claire knew I'd be there), stumble out and comb your hair, willing to throw yourself into the 9-5 reigns, and then POOF. You realize it is not Friday, and there is still a whole 'nutha day until the precious weekend of freedom and laughter! Oh well. If we've made it this far, we warrant a reward of Corn Squares swimming in rice milk and sugar covered strawberries.

Tuesday was a much more honorable day for once. It spoke for itself and carried me away into peace. A big yellow school bus stirred up my field trip nostalgia and whisked us away to Newmarket, Ontario for a day of learnins. I went to visit two printing presses: Webcom and Pearson. So amazing. I don't know if it's my dad's love for mechanics and machines that got me jonesin' at the sight of the place, or maybe just the ability to see that tightly wound press creating one of my most favourite things in the world...but I was floored. I wouldn't mind getting an internship at Webcom either, aside from the fact that it is SO far away!

After those two whirlwind tours, a girl from the program, Megan, invited us all back to her place for a BBQ in Stoval. Since it was close to Aurora, Stephanie, who was driving, invited whoever wanted to squeeze into her car to visit her stable before embarking on BBQ'd goodness. That, too, stirred up some nostalgia in my heart. I got to hang around in the musky barn, the packed stalls, and the wide open hay strewn fields with beautiful horses and killer friends. Steph's horse, Quinn, is gigantic. In my 4 years of riding I never saw a bigger horse. And I am small by comparison! Dayum!

Then it was off to Megan's. I'd have to say that the best part of this venture was that we were out of the city and into the rolling, forest dappled country. Manitoba and Ontario are not that different! Such a lovely pocket of warm, of sun filtered ecstasy. And we hadn't even arrived at her house yet. It was a beautiful little cottage-home on it's own small lake, complete with dock, row boat, three extremely cuddly dogs, a fat cat, birds, a thousand books, a chicken coop, and a mini forest-eden in the backyard. I cannot explain how much I now covet this house, and how much I have longed for/dreamed of living in a place like it. It is purest peace. I am so glad that I decided last minute to come. We wandered around the woods, eating wild strawberries, laughing and loving under the buttery sun. Everything. Worth it.

Tomorrow there is a more Torontonian day planned - a very posh Book Summit event attended by literary professionals chatting up all things books and anything in between...At the Harbourfront no less, followed by a dinner held by the French Consulate. I am a very lucky lady indeed to have all this epic city goodness flowing around me! Now to feed myself after a long day, toss my hair in rollers and hope for the best ;)

Lumiere~

No comments:

Post a Comment